Tuesday, February 10, 2015

"Fifty Shades of...Gray Hair" Part One "Aging, Growing Old, Maturing"

Aging, no. Growing old, no, NO! Maturing...ok, yes! 

My impression? Maturing is an experience not only reserved for a 1954 Chateau Margaux Bordeaux; it is also one with which a 1954 Kathleen Fowler/Costa is grappling. I am learning that the experience of aging...maturing, is personal, yet, many share a similar disdain for the incongruities between one's inner youthful vitality and the limitations of the outer packaging. Every morning as I roll out of bed, I feel the new day may hold a variety of adventures, but as I creak to the bathroom and stare in the mirror, I am reminded that I may not quite be ready for the task. 

The marvelous French Bordeaux quietly sat on the rack maturing in a cool environment tended gently by an anxious connoisseur more interested in the nectar one day to be enjoyed than in maintaining the bottle. I realize that to sync the inner and outer parts of Kathleen Faye is a nice New Year's resolution, one I've made several times, however, I want to believe "beauty is skin deep..." Does the dusty bottle and faded label effect the quality of the wine? No, not to those who would pay €2100 for the pleasure.

So, how does one better align the two incongruities and move forward into the golden years? The dustier the bottle and more faded the label, the better the wine is perceived to be. As for me, I try to eat my vegetables and limit fried foods; add color to my cheeks and spritz a little fragrance; smile a lot more and...not worry about the packaging. It truly is how you feel, not how you look. 

Sincerely, Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment